Sunday, April 18, 2010

4-17-10

What a day! I had a few dogs to groom in the morning but I got them done and sent home quickly and we were able to get down to the Farmers Market by about noon. Beautiful! Luckily one of my customers from the morning went to the market while I was grooming her dog and mentioned we NEEDED jackets, it wasn't cold and windy at all at our house, but it certainly was on the square.

Anyway, the Farmers Market is so fun. So many things, such great people watching opportunities, and Lily has always loved the street musicians and the little tastes of new flavors and seeing new interesting vegetables.

Can I just quickly give a shout out to parenting in Madison. We saw at least 20 babies and kids being worn in carriers, well, sure.. the farmers market isn't exactly stroller-friendly, but I think we only saw one Baby Bjorn, mostly we saw carriers like ergos, mei tai's, wraps and ring slings. So that's fun, but it gets better. We saw at least 5 daddies wearing their babies (including one in a woven wrap, which I've never seen on a daddy before), which I think is one of those things, like nursing in public, that the more people see other people doing it, the more comfortable they are about doing it themselves or encouraging their partner to try.. Speaking of nursing, we saw 4 mamas nursing on the lawn/benches around the capitol, and one more nursing in a carrier while she walked and shopped. Even 3 years ago when Lily was Charlie's age we rarely saw parents wearing their babies or nursing in public, and trust me, I was looking!

Tulips at the Capitol... spring is here!

Shouldn't it be getting EASIER to get her to sit nicely for a picture? When she was little we plopped her down and got great pictures, now at 3.5 (!!) years old, we took 5 and this is the only one where she's even attempting to look at the camera.

Mama and Charlie were there too. Charlie remembered to wear his tomato hat.

After we were done with the market, we went into the Overture center to see what was going on for the "Kids in the Rotunda" event this week. It was a neat drum troupe (group? band? i think troupe is the right word) where each kid has moderate to profound hearing loss.. it was really inspiring what they could do! I have a short video I'll upload later.

Lily liked it, but made me feel awkward by cupping her hands over her ears like she hated it. This is an ongoing strange Lily-ism, when I've tried to figure out why she does it she has basically said she likes the way really loud sounds changes as she cups and uncups her hands from her ears, but its still embarrassing when we have really important talented performers at Liliana's and shes running around with her hands on her ears!

Charlie (silly face!) LOVED this. He was bouncing and kicking his feet to the beat. He was in my lap for a while but I sat him on the floor in front of me so he could feel the beat better. When he got hungry, I nursed him in the audience and he kicked his feet in rhythm with the music the whole time.


THEN! Dave had arranged for a sitter (2 actually, Thanks Tami and Karli, so so much!) so we could go on a date.. on a Saturday, like real grown ups! How exciting!
We went out for sushi, which is when Dave finally told me where we were going.. to see The Blanks! (Ted's band from Scrubs). After the initial not-so-fun of pumping in the bathroom at the Overture Center, it was such a good time. We had great seats (thanks Jess!), I had plenty to drink and really relaxed and laughed, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment